COMPASS Placement Exam
Salient Features of COMPASS Placement Exam
Introduction to the COMPASS Exam
The COMPASS placement exam is a test that will help in assessing whether a particular student has the skills relevant to and required for the college-level program that he wishes to pursue. If he does not have the required skills, then it will be pointless for him to undertake that course because it will not be possible for him to find success in it. This is the reason why most colleges ask the students to take this examination, as the result will help them decide whether they should accept or deny admission to students. If the college admits a student who does not have the necessary skills, then this will only lead to wastage of college resources.
If you wish to take this examination, you will have to register for the same by getting in touch with the college counsellor or advisor. He will tell you what needs to be done for this and he will also inform you about the potential dates on which the test is offered to the students. You can then choose a date, pay the fee for the test and register for the examination.
Important Features of the COMPASS Test
To ensure that you are preparing for the COMPASS in the most effective manner, you need to know everything about this examination. If you do not know the important features of this test, then you will not be able to study effectively for the same.
- An important feature of the COMPASS placement exam is that it is a computerized examination and you will not find any pen and paper version of the test elsewhere. If you do not know how to operate a computer, you should learn the basic computer skills so that you can take the examination.
- Another thing about this exam is that there is no time limit. Unlike other tests, you do not have to hurry with your answers so that you will be able to finish the questions on time. Since there is no restraint on time, you can work on the questions at a pace that is comfortable to you.
- There are three sections in the exam that you will have to work on. These are Reading, Writing and Maths. The scores of each of these sections will be shown separately in the test result. There is no composite score that will be calculated. As such, you need to make sure that you try to obtain the highest possible scores in these sections.
- The COMPASS placement exam has five topics or areas that will be tested on the Maths section and these are Trigonometry, Geometry, College Algebra, Algebra and Pre-Algebra. You will be allowed to use a calculator during this section and you can bring your own calculator if it meets the requirements of the COMPASS. For more details about what kind of calculators can be used, you can refer to the official website of the examination at http://www.act.org/compass/tests/math.html.
- In the Reading section of the COMPASS placement exam, you will find five reading passages and these will consist of Prose Fiction, Practical Reading, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences and Humanities. The questions that will be asked will be based on these passages.
- In the Writing section, you will have to point out the mistakes or errors in the essays that will be provided to you.
- All the questions in the three sections of the COMPASS placement exam will consist of multiple choice questions. You will find that there are five answer options for each of the questions. From the choices displayed for each question on the computer screen, you need to choose an option that you feel is the correct answer.
- The scores of the test will be available to you as soon as you complete the test. You can collect the same from the proctor in the examination room.
You can score high in the COMPASS test if you know what it is all about. There are many prep materials that you will find locally as well as online. By using these resources, you can study for the test effectively and obtain a high score, which in turn will help you get enrolled into the program of your choice.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page