Study Guide for COMPASS Math Prep
What Should a COMPASS Math Study Guide Contain
Taking the COMPASS Math Test
Now that you have decided that you want to study a Math course in college, it is important that you take the COMPASS test because the result of this exam will help you find out whether you have the skills to successfully complete the course or not. When it comes to the Math placement exam, it is important for you to refer to a good study guide with the help of which you can obtain a high score. There is no passing score in the exam but there is a cut-off mark that every college will have and if you score below this mark, you will not be given admission. Thus, you need to make sure that you prepare for the test properly. Before you start with your preparation, you should know that there are five areas in which you will be tested and these are:
- College Algebra
Contents of a Test Guide
You should look for a study guide that is written in an easy to understand language, so that you will be able to understand it well. Moreover, if you are looking forward to buying a book, there are certain features or contents that you should be looking for. These are as follows:
- Math area coverage: First of all, it is important that the guide you buy should cover all the areas of the Math test. After all, you will only be able to score high if you know each of the content areas well.
- Formulas: Make sure that the guide you buy has mathematical formulas relevant to the content areas. This way, it will be easy for you to refer to the same and also memorize them for better result in the actual test.
- Illustrations: It is important that the book has illustrations for you to refer to because you will truly be able to understand how to work on the problems when you see the illustrations. If there is no illustration, you may not know how to solve a specific problem. Thus, the guide will not be useful to you as such. So make sure you buy a guide that has clear and easy to understand illustrations.
- Practice tests: This is one other content that you should look for in a study guide. Make sure that the book offers sample tests so that you will get a good idea about the questions that you can expect and you will also be able to improve your knowledge of mathematical concepts by working on these questions. The book should also contain explanations to the correct answers because this way, you will be able to truly understand how the problems are solved.
Review of a Few Math Guides
Given below are the study guides that you can refer to prepare for the test:
- Compass Math Test Success by Academic Success Media(http://www.amazon.com/Compass-Math-Test-Success-Solutions/dp/1453634789/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_3/184-4363943-4840941): If you are looking for a book that will cover each and every question that may come in the Math test, then this is one book that you should consider buying. It covers all the areas of the exam and it also has examples and practice tests that you can work on. Many test takers who have bought this book have found it to be useful so you can consider buying it to help you with your preparation.
- Bob Miller's Math Prep for the COMPASS Exam(http://www.amazon.com/COMPASS-Exam-Millers-Accuplacer-Preparation/dp/073861002X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356190451&sr=1-2&keywords=Compass+Math+Test): This is a book you should buy because you will be able to find out everything that you ought to know about the Math Placement Test. The review chapters for each of the test areas are easy to understand and you will find two sample tests that resemble the actual exam.
- Answers Explained by Jill Hacker (http://www.amazon.com/Answers-Explained-Arriving-Placement-Questions/dp/1450505139/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356190451&sr=1-3&keywords=Compass+Math+Test): To score high in the COMPASS math test, you need to understand how to solve the problems that are presented to you. This is where you will find this study guide to be of great help to you. It will prepare you for the test in the most effective manner so that you can score high in the exam.