When Should You Take the COMPASS Exams
What is the COMPASS?
The COMPASS exams are taken by students who wish to pursue college level courses. It is an assessment test that will determine whether you have the relevant skills to find success in the course that you wish to undertake. It is a computerized exam and you will have to take the test by sitting in front of the computer. There are three sections that you will be tested on and these are:
The questions in each of the sections will be multiple choice questions. They will be displayed online and you need to choose an answer option from the five alternatives for each question that will be given to you. Make sure that you look at the answer options carefully and then choose an option that you believe is the right answer. Even if you are not sure about the answer, you should choose an option randomly because you will at least have 20% chance of getting the answer right. There is no time limit within which you will have to complete the test because you can work on all the questions at a pace that you feel convenient.
When to Take the COMPASS?
It is essential that you register for the test beforehand and also pay the fee for the test before the testing day. On the day of the test, you will be required to show a printed copy of the receipt along with your photo identification and Social Security number. Now the question that you may have on your mind may be when you should take the COMPASS exams. To find out information about this, read the points given below:
- At the time of admission: Most colleges have made it necessary for you to take this exam so that they can decide whether or not you will be enrolled for the course that you have in mind. At the time of admission, the institution will refer to your test result and then decide whether or not you have the skills to succeed for the course that you wish to pursue. If the scores you have obtained are high, you will be given admission but if they are low, then it is also possible that you be denied admission.
- At the time of Orientation: You will find that most colleges offer the COMPASS exams to the students as a part of the orientation program. If you are a student who has been selected for the course that you have chosen, you will need to take this exam during the orientation period so that the college will determine whether or not you have the skills to find success in the chosen program.
More About COMPASS
- You will able to find out what your skills and weaknesses are when you take this test. This will give you some idea about which course you should be pursuing. You can also undertake necessary actions to improve your weaknesses.
- The scores of the three sections will be calculated and shown separately in the test report. You will not find a composite score in the COMPASS exams. Thus, you have to make sure that you are obtaining high scores in each of the three sections.
- The result will be available instantly after you complete the test. Since all the answers will be corrected by the computer system automatically, you will be able to obtain your report immediately after finishing the examination.
- If you are not living in the same city where the college that you wish to study in is located, you can consider remote testing. You will have to get in touch with the institution where you wish to study in and find out more information about this from them
- There is no passing score in the COMPASS exams but you will have to make sure that you meet the cut-off score for the program that you wish to pursue. You can find out about this by contacting your college counsellor. If the scores you have obtained in the first attempt are low, you can consider going for a retest.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page