Utility of a Mock ASVAB Test
How Can a Mock ASVAB Help You?
The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) is a standardized test that is mandatory if you want to enlist in the United States Armed Forces. Every year, many candidates appear for this test in a bid to join the military services. Due to the sheer number of candidates, competition is tough and the bar for high scores is being raised every year. Therefore, it is imperative that you prepare well for the test.
Preparing for the ASVAB Test
Sound preparation is the key to achieving high scores in the ASVAB test. If you have prepared well, there is every possibility that you will score more than the other candidates who have appeared for the test. Preparation for this test includes a number of factors:
- Your mode of preparation: This is an important factor
in determining whether you will do well in the ASVAB test. There are
four popular modes of preparation:
- Self Study
- Classroom Instruction
- Private Tutorials
- Time allotted to preparing for the test: If your preparation includes last minute efforts to cram everything, you might not achieve the scores you expected to score. Devoting enough time for preparation ensures that you cover all the concepts in each subject. Understanding the fundamentals of a subject is the answer to solving problems in the ASVAB test.
- Amount of practice acquired: The importance of
practice cannot be stressed enough. The more you practice, the more
adept you become at solving problems. Practice ensures that you know
the subject areas well and also familiarizes you with the test format.
You can practice using the practice tests, also called the mock tests
since they are similar to the real tests.
Importance of Taking a Mock Test
A mock test is the best way to know:
- Whether you are on the right path: The best way to do this is to compare your score in the initial diagnostic test with the score from a test taken at a later date. There should be a significant difference in the scores.
- Whether you are progressing in your study: When you take the diagnostic test, save the scores you have secured in each subject. Thereafter, compare the subject-wise score to know whether there has been any improvement in that subject. If there has not been any improvement, you will need to work on the subject. You can also find out the areas where you have not scored well and concentrate on those. For example, if you find that you have not done well in questions containing Algebraic problems, you will need to focus on Algebra.
- Familiarizes the test format: When you take practice tests, you become more acquainted with the test format. You know what to expect and this sets in a comfort level.
- Helps you in planning your time: Taking a mock test improves your speed in solving questions in the given time. Most students grapple with time during the test. However, regular practice ensures that you solve the questions within the given time.
Finding a Mock Test Online
The internet has an abundance of these mock tests. There are many websites that offer mock tests, either free of charge or at a cost. Most tests are part of the courses that organizations offer. The following are a few links to the well-known practice tests available online.
Some of them are full-length tests, especially the practice test from Military.com. This website offers three full-length practice tests as well as provides information about the various branches of the Armed Forces. Your scores and details are mailed to you. Make sure you take the test within the designated time so that you can understand the true nature of the ASVAB test.