ASVAB Tests Online
7 Significant Features of ASVAB Online Tests
If planning for a career in the US armed services, taking ASVAB is one of first steps ahead of you. Started in 1968, the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) Test is a battery of varied aptitude tests that measure the skills and aptitudes of applicants for different occupations in addition to the US military services. Previously offered only as a paper and pencil version, the test is now available as a computer adapted one or as ASVAB tests online also. The ASVAB battery of test content is the same, however, whether you take the traditional P&P ASVAB or the CAT-ASVAB (the online test).
What is ASVAB Online Test?
The purpose of the ASVAB test is to help determine candidate eligibility to military enlisting as well as analyzing and understanding candidate skills, aptitude, and abilities for various occupations within or outside the forces. The mode of administration of the test, whether traditional ASVAB or ASVAB test online does not change or/fail the purpose or provide any kind of advantage or disadvantage to the test takers.
The ASVAB is generally administered at the Military Entrance Processing Stations (MEPS) located across Puerto Rico as well as the United States, or at Military Entrance Test (MET) sites. While most MEPS stations now- a-days conduct the ASVAB tests online, the MET sites generally administer the traditional version of the test.
Unlike the traditional paper and pencil version of ASVAB, the computer adapted test is an adaptive test that works according to the abilities of individual candidates. Accordingly the difficulty levels of questions are determined at system level based on the performance of the candidates on the previous questions. While taking the ASVAB tests online, one also gets the advantage of finishing the exam at one's own pace, within the stipulated time bounds. And the average time taken to finish the CAT-ASVAB is found as one and a half hours.
For more on the ASVAB online test, refer to the official web page at: http://official-asvab.com/catasvab_app.htm
What are the Significant Features of ASVAB Online Test?
The following are the significant features of the CAT-ASVAB for you:
- The test adapts to the ability of the test takers. That is, based on the way you answer a question, the difficulty level of the next question is chosen and administered. This helps in making the assessment more accurate, as the difficulty of the items is paired to the test taker's performance level.
- U The adaptive nature of CAT-ASVAB helps you complete the test at your own pace, within the time bounds. That is, unlike the P&P version, you need not wait for instructions to move ahead to other sections; if you complete a subtest ahead of its stipulated time limit, you can start the next subtest.
- It is found that almost all candidates finish their individual test sections well within the stipulated time limits. Plus, you can leave the hall once you finish the test battery, and need not wait till the session concludes.
- Most importantly, while taking the ASVAB test online you do not get a chance to change or revisit an answer already submitted. Hence, be wise while selecting and marking your answers.
- While taking the ASVAB tests online, you get assistance on how to use the computers. That is, do not worry, if you need help to use the mouse and the keyboard or to mark the answers. Each section of the test provides a practice question and specific instructions on how to go ahead.
- The Auto Information (AI) and Shop Information (SI) tests are administered as separate subtests in CAT-ASVAB. However, both the tests are scored together and reported as AS, like in P&P ASVAB; thus reducing any chance of scoring differences.
- The adaptive nature of CAT-ASVAB also results in better scoring precision, as the difficulty level of questions and questions not answered are also looked at while scoring. Test scores are generally available immediately after the test concludes. You need not wait for the paper to be evaluated as in the P&P version.
Test Content and Duration for ASVAB Online Test
Whether you take up the ASVAB tests online or write the paper and pencil-based version of the test, the test content and questions remain the same. Both P&P ASVAB and CAT-ASVAB include questions of multiple-choice kind. The objective multiple-choice questions are from various topics covering four core areas such as:
- Science and Technical
The questions in the ASVAB tests online are divided into ten subtests as given below:
- General Science (GS)
- Arithmetic Reasoning (AR)
- Word Knowledge (WK)
- Paragraph Comprehension (PC)
- Math Knowledge (MK)
- Electronic Information (EI)
- Auto Information (AI)
- Shop Information (SI)
- Mechanical Comprehension (MC)
- Assembling Objects (AO)
It should be noted that in the P&P ASVAB, however, the Auto Information (AI) and Shop Information (SI) tests are combined into a single test.
You can find a sample set of questions online at the official ASVAB site: http://official-asvab.com/samples_app.htm.
For more information on the test content for CAT-ASVAB and the time limits for individual tests, refer to http://official-asvab.com/docs/asvab_fact_sheet.pdf.
Regardless of which version of the test you take, whether the traditional version or the ASVAB tests online, the test helps you and the recruiters get a clearer understanding of your abilities, skills, and aptitudes. ASVAB is, thus, a crucial step in the military recruitment and classification process.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page