Everything about ASVAB Scoring Explained
The ASVAB scores are scores that are obtained by a candidate when he takes the ASVAB exam. The main reason why candidates take out the time to prepare for the ASVAB test is because they wish to obtain a high score that will increase their chances of joining the U.S armed forces. Now, when it comes to the ASVAB scoring, there are three scores that are taken into account and these are Standard Score, AFQT Score and Composite Score.?
Types of Scores
- Standard Score: This is the score that is reported for each and every subtest. These scores are comparative to a nationwide sample of ASVAB candidates between the ages of 18 and 23 years. This means that the score will determine how well a test-taker, who is between the years of 18-23 years, has performed in the test as compared to others who have taken the test in the United States.
- AFQT Score: The AFQT or Armed Forces Qualification Test score is obtained as well as reported as a percentile that can be a number from 1 to 99. This score is obtained by taking the scores of four subtests into account: Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Mathematics Knowledge and Arithmetic Reasoning. The AFQT score is a percentile score that represents how a particular candidate has performed as compared to a sample group's performance. For instance, if a test-taker has scored an AFQT score of 85%, it means that he has done better than 85% of the test takers in the group.
- Composite Score: This is the score that is obtained by computing the scores of all the subtests of ASVAB. It is calculated by making use of a predetermined rule or formula.
Getting a High Score in ASVAB
Studying for the exam is important but it is also important that the test taker knows about the scores so that he can set a target for himself and work towards achieving the same. If an individual does not put in effort before his exam, how can he expect to score high?
This is why at the time of studying for the ASVAB; you should concentrate on getting a target score. If you cannot achieve this score, you need to make sure that you put in more effort than before. This is the reason why it is best to have a good idea about ASVAB scoring in order to get the score you desire.
Importance of ASVAB Scores
ASVAB scoring is important because the scores obtained by the candidates can be used for three important purposes. These are:
- For the purpose of assigning military jobs: Candidates who wish to join the military are assigned their respective jobs on the basis of a process called Classification. As the number of applicants for the vacant jobs is too many, Classification is a method that is used to select the right person for the right job. The Composite Score is used for this purpose.
- For the purpose of enlistment: The AFQT score is utilized by the Services to find out whether a candidate is eligible for all the three services of the U.S armed forces. The AFQT scores are categorized for the purpose of reporting. A candidate who scores IIIA or more will be eligible for enlistment.
- To help students in career exploration: ASVAB is offered to students as a part of the career exploration program to assist students explore their career options in military as well as in civil work.
|Category||Percentile Score Range|
There is no doubt that if a candidate can obtain a high score, then he will be in a better position to join the Service that he wishes to. If the score you have obtained is not high, you may not be eligible to join the armed forces. This is the reason why you should get a very good idea about the test and ASVAB scoring, as this will increase your chances to score high in the exam.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page