Significance of ASVAB for Military Recruitment
Introduction to the ASVAB
The ASVAB or the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery is an examination that is taken by those test-takers who are thinking about joining the U.S Armed Forces. If you have been thinking about joining the U.S Military, then it is vital that you obtain a high score in this test. This is a timed test and depending on whether you will be taking the computer based version or the pen and paper version of ASVAB Military, you will have to work on ten or nine subtests respectively. The questions that you will find in all these subtests will be multiple choice questions and you can expect four answer options for each question in the test. You will have to choose one option. Once you have registered for the exam, you should spend around two to three months to study for it.
Significance of ASVAB for Military
- ASVAB Military test is important because on the basis of the ASVAB scores that you have obtained, it can be determined whether or not you are qualified for enlistment. If you have a low score, then you will not be eligible to join the U.S Military. The AFQT score of this exam will determine whether or not you are qualified for enlistment and it can be obtained by taking the score of four subtests: Word Knowledge, Arithmetic Reasoning, Mathematics Knowledge and Paragraph Comprehension.
- Another significance of this test is that it will help in determining the job specialization that you will be most suitable for. Through the scores that you have obtained in the subtests, it can be determined as to which job will be most suited for you.
- Students in Post Secondary and High School can participate in the ASVAB Career Exploration Program that will help them find out information on military jobs as well as civil jobs. Afterwards, they can decide whether they wish to join the U.S Military or get a civil job.
Pen and Paper Version of ASVAB
If the test center near you is offering the pen and paper version of ASVAB military test, you need to be aware that you will have to take the exam by using a pen and selecting the correct answers in the test paper. You will have 149 minutes to finish to test. This version covers nine subtests which are as follows along with their time limits:
- Word Knowledge with 35 questions in 11 minutes.
- Arithmetic Reasoning with 30 questions in 36 minutes.
- General Science with 25 questions in 11 minutes.
- Mathematics Knowledge with 25 questions in 24 minutes.
- Paragraph Comprehension with 15 questions in 13 minutes.
- Assembling Objects with 25 questions in 15 minutes.
- Mechanical Comprehension with 25 questions in 19 minutes
- Auto & Shop Information with 25 questions in 11 minutes.
- Electronics Information with 20 questions in 9 minutes.
Computer Version of ASVAB
The computer version of ASVAB military test consists of ten subtests which have to be completed in 154 minutes. The following are the subtests that you have to take along with their time limits:
- Electronics Information with 16 questions in 8 minutes.
- Word Knowledge with 16 questions in 8 minutes.
- General Science with 16 questions in 8 minutes.
- Arithmetic Reasoning with 16 questions in 39 minutes.
- Mathematics Knowledge with 16 questions in 20 minutes.
- Assembling Objects with 16 questions in 16 minutes.
- Paragraph Comprehension with 11 questions in 22 minutes
- Mechanical Comprehension with 16 questions in 20 minutes
- Auto Information with 11 questions in 7 minutes
- Shop Information with 11 questions in 6 minutes
Preparation for ASVAB
To prepare for ASVAB Military test, it is important you refer to the prep guides that are available both online and offline. There are many guide books from well known publishers, like Kaplan, that you can refer to. You can also take the online practice tests as they can give you your score immediately.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page