How Important is ASVAB Math?
ASVAB Math Section
The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery test has many sections and the math subtests form an important part of the exam. Most people consider the math sections to be difficult but in reality, if you make use of logic and have the patience to work on the problems you will be able to get the right answers.
You will find two ASVAB math subtests in the examination and these are:
- Mathematics Knowledge- This subtest will measure the ability of a candidate to solve the general math problems.
- Arithmetic Reasoning- This subtest will include real-life problems that have to be solved by the test taker.
Importance of ASVAB Math
- One of the most important things you need to know about the ASVAB math is that it can make a difference on whether or not you can get into the U.S Armed Forces. Why is that? It is because to determine the eligibility for enlistment, the AFQT score is taken into account and this score is obtained by taking the scores of four subtests which are Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Mathematics Knowledge and Arithmetic Reasoning. As you can see, two math sections are included in the AFQT score so if you are really serious about getting into the U.S Armed Forces, you should aim to get high scores in the two math subtests.
- Another reason why ASVAB math is important is because irrespective of which military job you wish to get, mathematic skills are required. Few jobs that will require you to have strong math skills are military scientist and military engineer.
- If you think that mathematics is only important for military jobs then you are mistaken because math skills are required even in civil jobs like computer programmers, software engineers, mathematicians, etc. ASVAB can be taken by candidates even if they are not very sure whether they want to join the U.S Armed Forces. The test takers will be able to determine how strong they are in maths after taking the exam.
ASVAB Math Sections
- Arithmetic Reasoning: This is a subtest where you will be given thirty-six minutes within which you will be asked to answer thirty multiple-choice questions. There will be four answer options for each question and you need to select the right answer from these options. The questions here are in words and you will have to read them carefully to figure out what exactly you are being asked.
- Mathematics Knowledge: This is the subtest where you will find twenty-five multiple-choice questions and the time given to you to finish this test will be twenty-four minutes. This section will measure your knowledge of high school maths. The questions are generally clear in this test and you just have to answer them without trying to figure out what is being asked.
Prep Guide for ASVAB Math Subtests
- You should start preparing for the exam at least eight weeks before the date of the test. It is not possible for you to score high if you start preparing only a week or two in advance.
- To get a high score in ASVAB math sections, it is important you answer all the questions correctly and this is only possible when you understand the questions that are being asked.
- Take some time out everyday and try to memorize the ASVAB math formulas so that you will know which one to use for the questions that are asked in the actual exam.
- You will find many websites that offer sample tests on Mathematics Knowledge and Arithmetic Reasoning. Ensure that you are taking out time everyday and working on these problems online as it will strengthen your skills to solve the problems more effectively and in lesser time.
- You will also find many prep books as well as online courses in the market to help you with ASVAB math subtests. You can consider buying the books or online courses to help you with your preparation. The names of few books you can consider are Kaplan ASVAB by Kaplan and Barron's ASVAB by Terry L. Duran.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page