ASVAB Coast Guard
Importance of ASVAB for Coast Guards
ASVAB for Coast Guard
It is important for a potential test-taker to be aware that the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery test can be taken on paper and also on a computer. To pass the test and be eligible to join the Coast Guard, it is important that you have at least 40% as your AFQT score. This score of the ASVAB Coast Guard is determined by taking the scores of four subtests and these are Paragraph Comprehension, Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge and Mathematics Knowledge. If you are planning to take the computer based version of the ASVAB you will find it consists of ten subtests but if you are planning to take the pen and paper version of the test, you will find nine subtests there. All the questions found in the subtests are multiple choice questions. You will need to select one answer option from four options for each of the questions.
Importance of ASVAB for Coast Guards
Do you know why it is important to take the ASVAB Coast Guard? There are many reasons why the test is considered to be of great significance. These are as follows:
- Enlistment for active duty jobs and reservists: The score you obtain from the ASVAB test will help in determining whether or not you are qualified to join the Coast Guard, both active duty and reservist positions. This Service has many criteria that will determine whether you are eligible for enlistment or not and the ASVAB AFQT score you obtain will be one of the factors that will be taken into account. If you cannot get a high score then you will not be eligible, but you can always opt for a retest to improve your score.
- Job specialization: Once you are eligible, the U.S Coast Guard will determine which job should be assigned to you. This will depend on the scores you have obtained in the various subtests of the ASVAB Coast Guard. Through a procedure called Classification, the Coast Guard will refer to your ASVAB scores and allot you a job that is most suitable for you. This way, the right person can be placed in the right job.
- Active Duty Recruitment: The U.S Coast Guard will look at the Standard Scores of all the subtests and determine which position the candidate will be best suited for in the Service.
ASVAB Requirements for Coast Guard
- The candidate has to have a high school degree or a GED certificate because without it, the applicant will not be allowed to take the ASVAB test.
- You need to be at least 17 years of age to take this test.
ASVAB Computer-based Version
You will be given a total time of 154 minutes within which you must finish all the subtests.
- Mathematics Knowledge with 16 questions.
- Shop Information with 11 questions.
- Auto Information with 11 questions.
- Arithmetic Reasoning with 16 questions.
- Word Knowledge with16 questions.
- Assembling Objects with 16 questions.
- Mechanical Comprehension with 16 questions.
- Paragraph Comprehension with 11 questions.
- Electronics Information with 16 questions.
- General Science with 16 questions.
ASVAB Pen and Paper Version
This is the version of the ASVAB Coast Guard where you will be given 149 minutes and you need to finish all the nine subtests within this period of time.
- Word Knowledge with 35 questions.
- Mathematics Knowledge with 25 questions.
- Arithmetic Reasoning with 30 questions.
- General Science with 25 questions.
- Assembling Objects with 25 questions.
- Electronics Information with 20 questions.
- Auto and Shop Information with 20 questions.
- Mechanical Comprehension with 25 questions.
- Paragraph Comprehension with 15 questions.
Retesting of ASVAB Coast Guard
If you have take the ASVAB but the score that you have obtained in the test is not satisfactory, you can always consider going for a retest. It is important for you to be aware that to take the second test, you need to have at least a period of one month's gap as per the retest policy of the ASVAB Coast Guard. However, if you have already taken the test twice but you wish to take the exam for the third time, you will have to wait for a period of six months before you can take the test for the third time. Before you go and take the test again, make sure that you are well-prepared so that you will be able to obtain a high score.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page