The Reading Section Requirements of ACCUPLACER
Everything you Need to Know about Reading ACCUPLACER Test
The ACCUPLACER test provides a platform to the students for pursuing their college studies by demonstrating their proficiency in Reading, Writing and Math. It is a computer-adaptive test in which the candidates have to answer multiple-choice questions except for the section, which is called Writer Placer that evaluates the essay writing skills of the test takers.
As far as Reading test is concerned, it is divided into two sections:
- ESL Reading Skills: The English as a Second Language Reading Skills Test consists of 20 multiple-choice questions that are based on comprehension passages. The test takers are required to prove their skills of reading through these passages.
- Reading Comprehension: The Reading Comprehension test includes 20 multiple-choice questions that evaluate the proficiency of the students to understand or formulate their opinions on what they are asked to read. Besides this, the students must have the ability to differentiate between the statements in the passage that are direct and those with the secondary ideas.
In short, this section of ACCUPLACER measures the ability of the students to read or prove their skills in reading. The following points sum up the contents of both portions of Reading test:
- When it comes to Reading Comprehension exam, the first category of questions consists of a passage for reading accompanied by the questions that are based on the same. The length of this passage may differ. Besides this, the division of the passage is also based on the type of information that should be developed by the students. For instance, the definite statements of the passage that is associated with the primary and the main ideas, applications and conclusion in the passage.
- The second category of questions includes sentence relationships in which there are two sentences and the test takers are supposed to answer the questions that deal with the relationship between these two sentences. The conjectures drawn by the students state whether the first sentence aligns with the second or contradicts the same in this portion of Reading test.
The other portion of ACCUPLACER, which is known as ESL Reading Skills exam evaluates the competence of the test takers in reading. The contents in this part of the test include comprehension of passages that are short in length. The length of these passages remains in the range of 50-90 words. Lets us see what these passages contain:
- The first half of this test comprises of simple and up-front items of comprehension such as paraphrasing, finding information, phrasal vocabulary and pronoun reference.
- The second half of the test is slightly tricky in Reading section which, measures the skills of the students in formulating their opinions that are based on the passage that is provided to them. Accordingly, the test takers are supposed to assess the prime idea of the passage, the logic that needs to be applied for the causes and effects, the information that does not correspond with the passage. Additionally, they have to locate the logic that is used by the author of the passage and its application to some other situation.
This test does not follow the constraints of time although there might be some changes that vary with the institutions in which the tests are conducted for the students. Taking this test is important as it enables the test authorities to classify those students with strong skills of English Reading and facilitating the test takers to choose a subject of their choice in college-level courses.
Therefore, those students who are keen to choose their fields of education in college, it is necessary for them to consolidate their preparations in this segment of ACCUPLACER. Although, the concept of pass or fail does not exist in Reading exam, the test takers must gear up and understand or familiarize themselves with the contents of this test by taking practice exams regularly for getting success in this test and fulfilling their academic goals.