Reading ACCUPLACER Test
Everything you Need to Know about Reading ACCUPLACER Test
The ACCUPLACER test provides a platform to the students for pursuing their college studies by demonstrating their proficiency in Reading, Writing and Math. It is a computer-adaptive test in which the candidates have to answer multiple-choice questions except for the section, which is called Writer Placer that evaluates the essay writing skills of the test takers.
As far as Reading ACCUPLACER test is concerned, it is divided into two sections:
- ESL Reading Skills: The English as a Second Language Reading Skills Test consists of 20 multiple-choice questions that are based on comprehension passages. The test takers are required to prove their skills of reading through these passages.
- Reading Comprehension: The Reading Comprehension test includes 20 multiple-choice questions that evaluate the proficiency of the students to understand or formulate their opinions on what they are asked to read. Besides this, the students must have the ability to differentiate between the statements in the passage that are direct and those with the secondary ideas.
In short, Reading ACCUPLACER test measures the ability of the students to read or prove their skills in reading. The following points sum up the contents of both portions of Reading test:
- When it comes to Reading Comprehension exam, the first category of questions consists of a passage for reading accompanied by the questions that are based on the same. The length of this passage may differ. Besides this, the division of the passage is also based on the type of information that should be developed by the students. For instance, the definite statements of the passage that is associated with the primary and the main ideas, applications and conclusion in the passage.
- The second category of questions includes sentence relationships in which there are two sentences and the test takers are supposed to answer the questions that deal with the relationship between these two sentences. The conjectures drawn by the students state whether the first sentence aligns with the second or contradicts the same in this portion of Reading ACCUPLACER test.
The other portion of Reading ACCUPLACER test, which is known as ESL Reading Skills exam evaluates the competence of the test takers in reading. The contents of this part of ACCUPLACER exam include comprehension of passages that are short in length. The length of these passages remains in the range of 50-90 words. Lets us see what these passages contain:
- The first half of this test comprises of simple and up-front items of comprehension such as paraphrasing, finding information, phrasal vocabulary and pronoun reference.
- The second half of the test is slightly tricky in Reading ACCUPLACER test which, measures the skills of the students in formulating their opinions that are based on the passage that is provided to them. Accordingly, the test takers are supposed to assess the prime idea of the passage, the logic that needs to be applied for the causes and effects, the information that does not correspond with the passage. Additionally, they have to locate the logic that is used by the author of the passage and its application to some other situation.
The Reading ACCUPLACER test does not follow the constraints of time although there might be some changes that vary with the institutions in which the tests are conducted for the students. Taking this test is important as it enables the test authorities to classify those students with strong skills of English Reading and facilitating the test takers to choose a subject of their choice in college-level courses.
Therefore, those students who are keen to choose their fields of education in college, it is necessary for them to consolidate their preparations for Reading ACCUPLACER test. Although, the concept of pass or fail does not exist in ACCUPLACER Reading exam, the test takers must gear up and understand or familiarize themselves with the contents of this test by taking practice exams regularly for getting success in this test and fulfilling their academic goals.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page