Important Information You must have for Accuplacer Testing
There are a number of college entrance examinations that are held throughout the USA. Amongst them the Accuplacer is slowly gaining importance, because it provides an accurate evaluation of your high school knowledge of subjects like English, Mathematics as well as your Writing skills.
The Accuplacer testing will also help you access the subjects that you are weak in and require remedial classes for. However, before you start preparing for the examination, you must understand the nature of Accuplacer testing. The following section of this article will provide insight into the various sections of the test.
What does the Accuplacer Consist of?
The Accuplacer comprises a battery of tests which will examine your acumen in the following subjects:
- Arithmetic: This part of the Accuplacer testing consists of 17 questions. It will cover topics that were a part of your high school curriculum. Hence, you can expect questions on fractions, decimals, whole numbers, percentages, and ratio, proportion as well as word problems.
- Elementary Algebra: This part of Accuplacer will access your basic concepts of Algebra, like solving simple equations, factorials, polynomials and finding the roots of algebraic expressions. Here you will have to solve a total of 12 questions.
- College level Algebra: The Algebra questions will evaluate your knowledge of algebraic formulas, equations (linear and simultaneous), functions and matrices. Along with these you will also have to solve questions on trigonometry, co-ordinate geometry and probability. In this segment of Accuplacer testing you will have to solve 20 questions.
- Reading comprehension: As the name of this segment suggests, it consists of comprehension passages, which you have to read in order to solve the questions based on them. Here you will have to solve 20 questions. Some of the questions will ask you to identify the primary theme of the passages, whereas others will require you to distinguish between the supporting and primary themes.
- Sentence skills: The 20 questions that you have to solve in this segment of Accuplacer testing will verify your knowledge of sentence structure. Some of the questions will ask you to identify the error (structural, grammatical or punctuation) in the statement, while others will require you to understand the relationship between two or more statements.
- Essay writing: The Accuplacer term for this segment of the test is 'WritePlacer''and here you will have to write a coherent and meaningful essay. Ensure that the essay you write is grammatically correct, with examples and statements to support the idea/ideas, you are trying to convey through the essay.
English as a second language (ESL): This test is taken only by students whose mother-tongue is not English. The ESL segment of the Accuplacer testing comprises the following sub-sections:
- ESL-Listening: This sub-section comprises 20 questions, where you will have to listen to speeches, discussions, conversations between two or more people and classroom lectures, in order to answer the questions.
- ESL-Reading: This segment also comprises 20 questions and you will have to read short comprehension passages, in order to answer the questions.
- ESL-Sentence meaning: This segment too comprises 20 questions. This section evaluates how well you understand the meaning of sentences in English.
The above-mentioned list will provide insight into the various sections and sub-sections of the Accuplacer. If you require more information then click on the following link: http://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students/accuplacer-tests
What More do I Need to Know about Accuplacer?
The Accuplacer testing is organized by the Collegeboard, a non-profit institute, to help you get placement for 2 years or 4 years in a college. Some points that you need to know about the test are as follows:
- Accuplacer test date and location: The Accuplacer testing happens within the campus of the college you want to study in. However, if you live in a different state then you can request permission from the college to take the test in your local college. Since the examination is held throughout the year, you can fix a date after getting in touch with the admissions counselor of the college that you want to study in.
- Nature of the test: The Accuplacer is a multiple-choice, computer adaptive examination. In other words, the difficulty level of the test will keep on increasing depending upon the answers that you provide. For example, if you give the right answer to a particular question then the next question will be more difficult.
- Time allotted: The Accuplacer is not a timed examination and that means; there is no particular time limit within which you have to complete the test. However, statistics show that students take about 90 minutes to complete the entire examination.
- Scoring system: You can receive your scores for the Accuplacer the moment you complete the test. This ensures that there is no waiting period between taking the examination and receiving of your scores. Moreover, there is no passing or failing marks and all the Accuplacer scores provide is an indication regarding which college you should study in or the subjects that require remedial classes.
The above-mentioned list will help you understand the Accuplacer testing better, because it explains the important points about it. Understanding the various sections of the test, the number of questions that you have to answer and the duration of the test is essential to evaluate the manner in which you should prepare for the test. So learn the nuances of Accuplacer well before you decide to take the examination.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page