The Reading Test of ACCUPLACER
5 Things You Need to Know About ACCUPLACER Reading Test
To be able to critically analyze the given information and to be able to draw the correct conclusions from them, are essential abilities that all college students must have. The Reading test is an effort by the CollegeBoard to evaluate these particular abilities in you. Hence, to ensure that your application receives due appreciation, you must prepare and score well in the Reading test. To aid you in this endeavor, the following section of this article will help you understand this segment of the test better.
5 Essential Features of the ACCUPLACER Reading Test
This section primarily consists of short comprehension passages, which you have to read carefully in order to answer the questions. However, this statement does not lend much light into the nature of the reading test. Let us read the following list to understand it better...
- What is the format of the question paper? This section comprises of 20 questions that you need to solve after reading the short passages. For each question there is a corresponding short paragraph. In other words, you will have to read 20 short paragraphs, to answer all the questions. The question type is multiple-choice and hence, all you have to do is select the correct answer from 4 possible options.
- What is the nature of the questions asked? The paragraphs cover a multitude of topics. These topics can range from excerpts from books, newspapers, and magazines or may even address socio-economic issues. You have to read the passages carefully and identify the central theme of the passage. Sometimes the questions may even ask you to identify the supporting theme, if there is any. The primary objective of these passages is to identify whether or not you are able to draw correct inference, based on the limited information given.
- How long is the examination? The ACCUPLACER is not a timed examination and hence, the Reading Comprehension segment too has no specific time limit. However, you should not take too long to solve these questions and statistics show that students take approximately 30 minutes, to solve the questions in this segment of the test.
How is the Reading Comprehension segment scored? The CollegeBoard organizes the ACCUPLACER to help candidates evaluate whether or not they require remedial classes in a particular subject. Although, the interpretation of scores depends ultimately on colleges, an approximate analysis is given below:
- If your score ranges from 20 to 56 then you require remedial classes in developmental reading.
- If your score ranges from 57 to 73 then you require remedial classes in reading and learning strategies.
- If your score is within 74 to 87 you do not require any kind of remedial classes, however, it will add to your college credit if you take such classes. It is recommended that you take some classes in English.
- If your score is within 88 to 120 neither is it recommended nor are you required to take any remedial classes.
- How to prepare for the test? The best method of preparing for the Reading test is to solve some online practice tests. These tests will provide you with an insight into the nature of the examination and at the same time help you identify if you are weak in a particular are of the Reading Comprehension segment of the test.
The above-mentioned list will help you understand the examination better, because it outlines the important characteristics of the test.
Do I Need to Know Anything More About the Test?
The score in this section will help you understand your strengths and weaknesses. However, before you actually take the test, you should appear for some mock ACCUPLACER Reading tests to gauge your preparedness. If you want to take such practice tests then click on the following link: http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/accuplacer/accuplacer-sample-questions-for-students.pdf
The most important thing that you need to understand about the test is that you can ace it only with proper practice. The above-mentioned link leads to the official website and hence, you can be assured about the authenticity of the questions. Moreover, these questions will also help you analyze the type of questions, which you will come across in the actual examination.