ACCUPLACER Math Test
Test Structure of ACCUPLACER Math Test
The ACCUPLACER is an exam, which is conducted for the students in order to measure their skills and abilities for pursuing college education in their chosen fields. With the help of the scores that are obtained by the students in this test, the academic counselors and advisors get an opportunity to choose those courses for the test takers that are compatible with their abilities. However, passing scores are not declared for this test although the students have to fare well in this exam in order to get placement in suitable courses in college.
The ACCUPLACER Math test is one of the most comprehensive sections of this exam with a varied range of topics that are divided into three parts. These parts can be noted in the points below:
- College-Level Math
- Elementary Algebra
What is the structure of ACCUPLACER Math test? Let us analyze them in the following points:
In College-Level Math, there are 20 questions on five categories that are to be answered by the students. These questions are based on the concept of college level mathematics. The categories of this test are:
- Algebraic Operations: In this category, the questions are based on factoring and expansion of polynomials, simplification of rational algebraic procedures along with manipulation of roots and exponents.
- Coordinate Geometry: As far as Coordinate Geometry is concerned, in this part of ACCUPLACER Math test, the questions that are to be attempted by the students consist of plane geometry, graphs of algebraic operations, sets of points in the plane, conics, straight line and coordinate plane.
- Solutions of equations and Inequalities: In this portion, the test takers need to find answers for linear and quadratic equations, inequalities, equation systems and algebraic equations.
- Functions and Trigonometry: The contents in this part of ACCUPLACER Math Test include different types of operations such as polynomials, algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential.
- Applications and other topics of algebra: The questions in this portion are based on series and consequences, fractions and word problems, determinants, complex numbers along with permutations and combinations.
The Elementary Algebra section of ACCUPLACER Math test contains 12 questions on three categories for measuring the fundamental algebraic skills of the students and their problem solving abilities in this field. In this section, the test categories include:
- Operations with Algebraic Expressions: The questions in this part are based on addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of monomials and polynomials, assessment of simple formulae and expressions, simplification of algebraic fractions, evaluating positive rational roots and exponents and factoring.
- Solutions of equations, inequalities and word problems: In this portion of ACCUPLACER Math test, the questions are based on geometric reasoning and graphing, translating written phrases into algebraic expressions, finding solutions to verbal problems that are based on algebraic perspective, solutions of quadratic equations by factoring, and solutions of linear equations and inequalities.
- Operations with integers and rational numbers: The contents in this portion include calculation with integers and negative rationals, application of ordering and absolute values.
In the Arithmetic section, the students have to answer 17 questions on three categories involving basic concepts of arithmetic and its usage. The categories of this sections include:
- Operations with decimals and percents: The contents in this portion are based on problems of percentages, subtraction, addition, multiplication and division related to decimals, equivalents of fraction and percent, identifying decimals and problems with respect to estimation.
- Operations with whole numbers and fractions: For this part, the contents of the test include identification of equivalent fractions and mixed numbers, problems on estimation along with addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Applications and Problem Solving: The topics of this portion in ACCUPLACER Math Test include problems on percentages, rate and measurement, dividing a quantity into its fractional parts, and geometrical problems that are not elaborate.
The questions in ACCUPLACER Math test are of multiple-choice types and evaluate complete knowledge of the students in all the topics that are included in this test. Besides this, there is no fixed duration of this test and no restrictions of time are imposed on the test takers for attempting the questions of this test.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page