Sections of Accuplacer - A Brief Overview
Prospective college students must take a placement test, in order to decide the course that is appropriate for them. The Accuplacer College Placement Test or the Accuplacer CPT, as it is colloquially known, is one such test. Other than that, high school or secondary students have to take the Accuplacer CPT to prove their competence in English and Mathematics. Moreover, the Accuplacer score card that students receive will help counselors guide pupils regarding remedial classes. Thus, the Accuplacer CPT is of paramount importance, if you are a looking forward to a successful college career. So let us learn more about the test...
The Accuplacer Examination Explained!
The first thing that you must know about the Accuplacer CPT is that it will test your high-school knowledge primarily in English and Mathematics. The various features of the test are as follows:
Accuplacer Mathematics: This part of the Accuplacer CPT comprises of 3 of sub-segments. Let us learn about the nature of these sub-segments…
- Arithmetic: This sub-part of the Accuplacer comprises of 17 questions covering various topics of Arithmetic like whole numbers, fractions, decimals and percentages. You will also have to perform basic Arithmetical operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in order to solve the problems.
- Elementary Algebra: The 12 questions in this sub-section will evaluate your knowledge of Algebraic formulas and your capacity to correctly apply them to polynomials, monomials, matrices etc. You will also have to solve problems involving factorization, finding the root, equation and in-equalities.
- College-level-math: In this sub-segment you will have to solve 17 questions, which will assess your knowledge of Trigonometry, Co-ordinate Geometry, functions and Pre-Calculus.
Accuplacer English: This section of the Accuplacer will evaluate your knowledge of the English language, grammar and capability to draw the correct inferences, from the limited information given. The Accuplacer English section can be divided into the following sub-parts:
- Reading Comprehension: In this sub-segment of the Accuplacer CPT, you will have to solve 20 questions, based on 20 short paragraphs, which you have to read thoroughly in order to identify the primary themes in each of them.
- Sentence Skills: This sub-section also consists of 20 questions, which will evaluate your knowledge of structure of sentences. Some of the questions will consist of structural errors, which you have to rectify; whereas in others you will have to identify the relationship between two statements.
- WritePlacer (Essay Writing): For this sub-segment of the Accuplacer you will have to write 1 or 2 essays depending on the number of prompts given. The essays have to be coherent and logical, with examples supporting the arguments that you provide.
English as Second Language (ESL): This test is taken only by non-native English speakers. In other words, if your mother tongue is not English, you will have to take the ESL test. This segment comprises of 4 sub-segments and each of them consists of 20 questions. The sub-sections are as follows:
- ESL-Language Use: This part of the test will assess your knowledge of English grammar. Here you will have to identify the grammatical errors in the statements and choose the correct answer.
- ESL-Listening: Here you will hear commonplace conversations, classroom lectures, conversation amongst students etc. and then answer the questions. This sub-segment measures your ability to understand English in the spoken form.
- ESL-Reading Skills: Here you will have to read short comprehension passages and analyze them carefully, in order to answer the questions.
- ESL- Sentence Meaning: Here you will have to read sentences and identify the meaning of them.
Nature of the test: The Accuplacer CPT comprises multiple-choice questions. Moreover, it is a computer adaptive examination, which means the difficulty level of the test will increase based on the answers you provide. For example, if you provide a correct answer to a particular question, then the question that will follow will be of a higher difficulty level in comparison to the previous one.
The above-mentioned list provides an insight into the basic nature, the various sections and the sub-segments of the test. If you require more information about CPT Accuplacer then click on the following link: http://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students/accuplacer-tests
Keep in Mind...
The Accuplacer CPT is not a timed examination, which means there is no fixed time limit within which you have to complete the test. However, it is a computer based examination and once you have chosen an answer to a question, you cannot go back and change it. So be careful while choosing an answer to a question. When you prepare for the examination keep in mind the topics that you have to study, which have been discussed in the list in the previous section of this article, as well as the nature of the test.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page